City Administrator Biography
Shawn M. Bell, ICMA-CM
Shawn M. Bell was appointed the City Administrator of the City of Fountain Inn, SC in October 2017. His prior municipal government experience includes City Administrator in Lake City, SC, Assistant to the City Manager in Abbeville, SC, and Administrative/Public Relations Intern for a municipality in St. Louis County, MO.
Shawn holds a bachelor’s degree in Political Science from the University of Missouri-Columbia and a Master of Public Administration degree from Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville.
Prior to municipal government, Shawn worked in a variety of public affairs capacities. He worked for a prominent state government relations firm in Arlington, VA; was part of the finance team of a U.S. Senate campaign in Washington State; spent time as a political consultant and operative in Missouri, and gained valuable experience working in the Missouri House and Senate as a Legislative Aide.
Shawn grew up in an Illinois suburb of St. Louis, MO and is married to his wife Kristen, who is from Charlotte, NC. They have two daughters and a black lab rescue named Gus.
Shawn is a member of:
- South Carolina City and County Management Association
- Board of Directors
- Professional Development Committee Member
- International City and County Management Association
- Government Affairs and Policy Committee Member
- Credentialed Manager
- South Carolina Community Development Association
- President, Board of Directors
- South Carolina Municipal Insurance Trust
- Chair, Board of Directors
- Laurens County Development Corporation
- Secretary (Executive Committee), Board of Directors
- South Carolina Housing Trust Fund Advisory Committee
- South Carolina Economic Developers Association
- Fountain Inn Rotary Club – Past President, Paul Harris Fellow
- Upstate Regional Advisory Board for Duke Energy
- Kappa Sigma Fraternity
Shawn is a 2014 graduate of the South Carolina Economic Development Institute. He is also a graduate of the South Carolina Local Government Leadership Institute, the Municipal Association of SC’s Risk Management Institute, and Leadership South Carolina (Class of 2018). Shawn was named to Greenville Business Magazine’s 2019 Best & Brightest 35 and Under and was named to GSA Business Report’s 2020 Forty Under 40. Engaging Local Government Leaders (ELGL) named him a Top Local Government Influencer for 2022. He is currently a member of the inaugural South Carolina Advanced Local Government Leadership Institute.